In 2018 the Field Practicum was held in Mexico City from Sunday, January 28 – Sunday, February 5, 2018. Students participated in a week long session that included visiting visual artists, writers, translators, museum professionals, publishers, as well as cultural institutions with a focus on image and text.
At the end of the week there was a full day of critique on work from the fall semester.
The itinerary included:
- Studio visit with artist Theo Michael
- Met with Juan Gaitan, Director, Museo Tamayo
- Studio visit with Manuel H. Marquéz
- Lecture by independent writer, scholar, and translator Irmgard Emmelhainz
- Visit to Aeromoto with a talk from Mauricio Marcin
- Visited publisher, Gatonegro Ediciones, with publisher, editor, artist Leon Munoz Santini
- Met with Jorge de la Garza at Libreria Casa Bosques
- Artists talk with Veronica Gerber Bicecci at Centro de la Imagen
- Tour with Mariela Sancari, photographer and curator of the photobook exhibit at the Centro de la Imagen
- Visit and tour at SOMA
- Visit and talk with translator and publisher Tatiana Lipkes of Mangos de Hacha and translator Kit Schluter
- Studio visit with Anouk Kruithof
- Home visit to Poet Luis Felipe Fabre with Sexto Piso Editor Diego Rabasa
- Lecture by Ana Casas-Brodas at La Hydra
- Visit to Taller Ditoria press
In 2017 the Field Practicum was held in London from Sunday, March 5 - Sunday, March 12, 2017. Students participated in a week long session that included visiting visual artists, writers, museum professionals, publishers, as well as cultural institutions with a focus on image and text. Several of these meeting took place in the Ithaca College London Center.
The Itinerary included:
- A guided tour of the Wolfgang Tillmans exhibition at the Tate Modern with curator Emma Lewis
- A conversation with Colin Sackett, book designer and publisher of Uniform Books
- A lecture by poet, performer, and installation artist Caroline Bergvall
- Talk and guide to the Victoria and Albert Museum Photography Centre with Federica Chiocchetti of The Photocaptionist
- Studio visit with photographer Lorenzo Vitturi
- Lecture and guided tour of Autograph Archive with Director Dr Mark Sealy
- Visit to photographer Richard Mosse’s show “Incoming” at the Barbican
- Met photographer and writer David Campany at his house for a guided tour of his photobook collection
- Met with Michael Mack of Mack Books
- Met poets Jonathan Skinner and Tim Atkins for a reading and tour of Atkin’s library
- Visit to The Photographers Gallery to see the Deutsche Borse Prize exhibition.