International Field Practicum
This one-time Fall Field Practicum in Venice departed from our standard format to take advantage of the tremendous global breadth of contemporary art featured in the Venice Biennale. We paired that intensive viewing experience with going on-press at the phenomenal print collective, Grafiche Veneziane, to print an offset poster edition that our students had created the previous summer in collaboration with poet Tonya Foster and designer Elana Schlenker. Activities included:
- Public reading and discussion of recent books by program directors Catherine Taylor and Nicholas Muellner at Bruno, a contemporary art book shop, organized by SPBH Editions.
- Group goes on press for ITI Graduate student poster collaboration with writer Tonya Foster and designer Elana Schlenker at offset printer Grafiche Veneziane.
- Visit to Giardini of the Venice Biennale to see national pavilions and Italian Pavilion exhibition.
- Visit to Arsenale of the Venice Biennale to see curated exhibition and national pavilion exhibitions.
- Studio visit with Venice-based Danish artist Thomas Poulsen.
In 2022, the Field Practicum was held in Berlin from Monday April 18 - Friday, April 29 in a special 2-week trip that made up for a trip that had been lost to the Covid-19 pandemic. Students participated in a session that included visiting visual artists, writers, museum professionals, publishers, as well as cultural institutions with a focus on image and text. In addition, the graduating cohort held their Thesis Exhibition at a.p. Berlin, an art space and book store.
The itinerary included:
- Visit to the Hamburger Bahnhof for the exhibition, “Nation, Narration, Narcosis Collecting Entanglements and Embodied Histories”
- Conversation with poet Donna Stonecipher in the Tiergarten
- Studio visit with Thomas Struth and visit to his show at Galerie Max Hetzler
- Conversation with curator Anna Jager at Savvy Contemporary.
- Visit to the exhibition “Sentiments, Signes, Passions; On Godard’s film “Le livre d'image” at Haus der Kulturen der Welt
- Visit to ℅ Berlin with Chief Curator Felix Hoffman
- William Pope L. at the Schinkel Pavilion
- Visit to Bildband Berlin photo bookstore with
- Studio visit with designer-artist Nontsikelelo Mutiti
- KW Contemporary with curator Sofie Krogh Christensen
- Studio visit with photographer Ketuta Alexi-Meskhishvili
- Conversation with photographer Adam Broomberg
- Conversation with novelist Madeleine Watts
- Conversation with writer, translator, and publisher Daniela Seel at a.p. books
- Studio visit with Andrea Grûtzner
- MISS READ the Berlin Art Book Fair
In 2020 the Field Practicum was held in Mexico City from Thursday, January 30 - Thursday, February 6. Students participated in a week long session that included visiting visual artists, writers, museum professionals, publishers, as well as cultural institutions with a focus on image and text.
The itinerary included:
- Meeting with Brenda Lozano, writer, essayist, editor at MAKE Mag
- Lecture by Mariela Sancari, photographer, writer, and curator at the Centro de la Imagen
- Visit to Aeromoto with Mauricio Marcin, curator and organizer, Jerónimo Ruedi, organizer and artist, and Kit Schluter, writer and translator
- RRReplica book fair with Gato Negro Ediciones & Printed Matter
- Conversation with iTi Fellow Veronica Gerber Bicecci, visual artist and writer
- Meet with Carla Faesler, writer of speculative fiction and poetry
- Talk and workshop with Abril Castillo, writer, editor and illustrator, runs a
small publishing house, Alacraña
- Informal Work Sharing at ProyectoT
- Visit with iTi Fellow Manolo Marquez and graphic designer Santiago Martínez Alberú
- Visit with artist Juan Caloca of Cráter Invertido Collective
- Talk with publishers Francesco Pedraglio and Tania Perez Cordova at Juan de las Cosa
- Meet with Ana Casas Broda, photographer and curator at La Hydra
- Meeting with Jorge de la Garza at his bookstore, Casa Bosques
- Studio visit with photographer Pablo Lopez Luz
In 2019 the Field Practicum was held in London from Sunday, March 3 - Sunday, March 10. Students participated in a week long session that included visiting visual artists, writers, museum professionals, publishers, as well as cultural institutions with a focus on image and text. Several of these meeting took place in the Ithaca College London Center.
Mid-way through the week a critique of work made in the fall semester was held at Camberwell College.
The Itinerary included:
- Conversation with Jacques Testard, Editor of The White Review and Fitzcarraldo Editions
- Lecture by Susan Johanknecht of Gefn Press
- Artist walkthrough of Crone Music, an exhibition by Beatrice Gibson at the Camden Arts Centre
- Talk and guide to the National Poetry Library
- Conversation with Nina Strand at Self Publish, Be Happy
- Visit to Granta Books
- Studio visit with installation artist Felicity Hammond and guided tour of Black Tower Projects
- A guided tour of Autograph Gallery
- Visit to Flowers Gallery
- Visit to radical archive Mayday Rooms
- Meeting with poet Jonathan Skinner and a London Walking Tour plus a discussion of eco-poetics at the Thames Barrier
- Studio visit with photographer Liz Johnson Artur
- Visit to The Photographers Gallery to see the Deutsche Borse Prize exhibition
- Lecture by writer, curator, artist and teacher David Campany
In 2018 the Field Practicum was held in Mexico City from Sunday, January 28 – Sunday, February 5, 2018. Students participated in a week long session that included visiting visual artists, writers, translators, museum professionals, publishers, as well as cultural institutions with a focus on image and text.
At the end of the week there was a full day of critique on work from the fall semester.
The itinerary included:
- Studio visit with artist Theo Michael
- Met with Juan Gaitan, Director, Museo Tamayo
- Studio visit with Manuel H. Marquéz
- Lecture by independent writer, scholar, and translator Irmgard Emmelhainz
- Visit to Aeromoto with a talk from Mauricio Marcin
- Visited publisher, Gatonegro Ediciones, with publisher, editor, artist Leon Munoz Santini
- Met with Jorge de la Garza at Libreria Casa Bosques
- Artists talk with Veronica Gerber Bicecci at Centro de la Imagen
- Tour with Mariela Sancari, photographer and curator of the photobook exhibit at the Centro de la Imagen
- Visit and tour at SOMA
- Visit and talk with translator and publisher Tatiana Lipkes of Mangos de Hacha and translator Kit Schluter
- Studio visit with Anouk Kruithof
- Home visit to Poet Luis Felipe Fabre with Sexto Piso Editor Diego Rabasa
- Lecture by Ana Casas-Brodas at La Hydra
- Visit to Taller Ditoria press
In 2017 the Field Practicum was held in London from Sunday, March 5 - Sunday, March 12, 2017. Students participated in a week long session that included visiting visual artists, writers, museum professionals, publishers, as well as cultural institutions with a focus on image and text. Several of these meeting took place in the Ithaca College London Center.
The Itinerary included:
- A guided tour of the Wolfgang Tillmans exhibition at the Tate Modern with curator Emma Lewis
- A conversation with Colin Sackett, book designer and publisher of Uniform Books
- A lecture by poet, performer, and installation artist Caroline Bergvall
- Talk and guide to the Victoria and Albert Museum Photography Centre with Federica Chiocchetti of The Photocaptionist
- Studio visit with photographer Lorenzo Vitturi
- Lecture and guided tour of Autograph Archive with Director Dr Mark Sealy
- Visit to photographer Richard Mosse’s show “Incoming” at the Barbican
- Met photographer and writer David Campany at his house for a guided tour of his photobook collection
- Met with Michael Mack of Mack Books
- Met poets Jonathan Skinner and Tim Atkins for a reading and tour of Atkin’s library
- Visit to The Photographers Gallery to see the Deutsche Borse Prize exhibition.